Poetry on Padlet



I taught this poetry lesson as a part of a general writing course for my English majors. This lesson is suitable for a wide range of language learners and ages. Just adapt it as you see fit. Don't underestimate your students' ability to write poems! This lesson was a favourite among many of the students and so I'd like to share it with other teachers. I used a free Padlet account for this lesson. You can make up to 3 Padlet boards with the free account. Students do not need to download anything - you just set up the board before the lesson, send them the link, and then they can post straight-away.

These are the steps in my online Poetry on Padlet lesson:

1. Introducing poetry
If poetry is a new topic for your students you could begin with some definitions of poetry and the students' feelings about it. Students not sure about the value of poetry? Check out this article
Then read aloud to them some poems. The following are some of my favourite. Choose ones you think your students can relate to. It's good to have a nice variety of poems  - old and modern, rhyming and free-verse, with different themes (song lyrics are also poetry). Lead the class in discussion about what they mean. 
If you've taught poetry before, it's a wonderful idea to share past students' poems. This can be such an encouragement to students who are feeling like writing poetry in English is too hard. 

2. Share and appreciate poetry
Now it's time for the students to share poems they know or love. I let my students go online and find poems or song lyrics they like. Poem hunter is a great place to find poems old and new. Ask for volunteers to read aloud poems. Allow for discussion if you have time. 

3. Write poems
This is the best part! Send the Padlet link to everyone, making sure everyone gains access to it. Show students how to use it by writing a poem of your own. Posts appear in real time. I usually begin with acrostics as they are the most achievable for students who have not written poetry before. Here's an acrostic I wrote about my sister, Robyn:

Robyn, my sister, is
Open and kind to everyone
Bringing gifts from faraway places
Yet taking time to talk and laugh
Never impatient

I like to set my students free to experiment with any kind of poetry they like. I enjoy seeing the poems gradually appear on the Padlet and encourage students to read each other's poems. I also write some poems at the same time. Try to foster an atmosphere of inclusion and acceptance - encourage the students to just have a try. You are not expecting them to write like Keats. In a way, poetry is easier than other kinds of writing because there are very few "rules". 

I'm always surprised at the beautiful and thoughtful poetry that my students create. Here are a few of my favourites:



Comments

Post a Comment