Learning English Through Poetry - Interview with Well Versed Podcast


Learn English through poetry.

This is the tagline of a new podcast called Well Versed. I came across it on Twitter recently and it immediately caught my attention.

I decided to reach out to the host of the podcast, Daniel, and ask him a few questions...

Can you tell us a bit about you? (Especially in the context of teaching English and poetry)

I’m not an English teacher, but I am an enthusiast of both language-learning and poetry. I’ve been learning French for many years and I’ve also reached an intermediate level in Italian and Spanish. I’ve learned a lot through conversation exchanges with friends from those countries, which has given me some insight into the challenges faced by an English learner.

What prompted you to start the Well Versed Podcast?

It was initially a lockdown project, and mainly prompted by my experience learning Spanish and Italian through listening to podcasts. You can pick up a huge amount just by listening carefully to native speakers, as long as it’s not too hard and you have a transcription to help. But most of the podcasts were on generic themes and topics, and I wanted something more unusual and interesting. So I had the idea that a podcast that talks you through famous poetry would be a great way to learn and enjoy a language.
Photo by Juja Han on Unsplash

What can we expect when we listen to your podcast?

Each episode I introduce one famous poem. I read it once at the beginning and once at the end, with a 5-10 minute discussion in between. During the discussion I explain any challenging vocabulary or phrasing and present some ideas on how to interpret the poem, with a little information on the poet and the poem’s significance. There’s always a full transcription available at http://wellversedpoetrypod.wordpress.com.

What's the benefit of learning English with poetry?

Really, if you’re listening to native speakers, any kind of conversation can be helpful. But the more interesting the topic is, the faster you’ll learn. Famous poetry not only has a great cultural significance, it also deals with perennial human themes that everyone can relate to. Moreover, it gives you a unique insight into a language because it is using that language in the most concentrated way possible. I think the problem is that people imagine it’s too difficult. If you’re selective with your choices, and you have someone to explain it, plus a transcription, it’s fully accessible to anyone of intermediate level or above.

Do you have a favourite poem or poet?

I’d have to say Robert Frost. I’m struck by his ability to address profound topics with the most simple language. I also like that he writes a lot about nature and manages to use traditional forms without sounding awkward or pretentious.

What's coming up on the podcast? Can you give us a taster?

Next up will be Emily Dickinson, who’s a very important figure in American poetry. She has these cute, ballad-like poems that can turn out to be extremely powerful and sometimes extremely dark. E.g. “My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun.” I’ve chosen one which I like a lot, and which is very open to interpretation. In the future we might hear more from Robert Frost, and at some point, if only due to his fame, it might be fun to try some Shakespeare…

Besides sharing your podcast, how could teachers incorporate poetry into their classes?

They could always try asking students to write a poem! Poetry is so open-ended that it shouldn’t be too difficult. At an advanced level it might be a great exercise to try writing a poem following set metrical forms - this could really challenge students’ awareness of the rhythm and sound of the language, especially in English where stressed syllables are so important.
But of course, reading is the easiest way to incorporate poetry - pick a poet like Robert Frost, whose language isn’t usually too complex, and compare a few of his most famous poems.


Thanks to Daniel for his time in answering these questions. Check out Well Versed at anchor.fm/wellversed or your podcast player and follow along on social media.  


For a poetry lesson idea take a look at a previous blog post - Poetry on Padlet.

Comments