Personal narrative - the writing task that surprised me

It was getting towards the end of the semester and my long-suffering third year writing students had slogged through topic sentences, coherence, essay structure, supporting details, and many other basic essay writing essentials. It was time to to something different for a change. We hadn't touched on narrative writing yet, so I thought we'd begin a short unit on narratives - beginning with personal narratives, because it's easier than fiction, right? You don't have to come up with a story from your imagination, you just write down some experience you've had. 

As I was preparing a lesson on personal narratives - scouring the internet as I always do - searching for good ideas and models, I read an article that urged me, as a writing teacher, to model writing for my students myself. I needed to write a personal narrative. I have learned that we teachers should actually do the assignments that we set for our students to do - that's good practice. But often our schedules are so packed that we just get by doing the bare minimum.

So I decided to write a personal narrative that I could let my students read as an example. And meanwhile the experience would give me an idea of the usefulness of the task instructions and tips as well as long long they'd need to be able to write one of their own.

I sat and thought about what to write. I looked at the prompts I had sourced and curated: a memorable day, a surprising incident, something that changed you, an important lesson you have learned. I have lots of everyday experiences, but this task was calling for something more meaningful. 

That night I lay in bed and a memory came to me. It was not a comfortable memory. Perhaps that's why it stuck in my mind. It was a time in my childhood that I had neglected a neighbour in need and the ramifications of that choice. I couldn't get the memory out of my head along with all the feelings of guilt and shame and questions: Why did I make that choice? How could I have dealt with the situation better? What impact has this had on my life? Why do I still remember it so vividly? 

I had to write it. This was my personal narrative. I wrestled with the decision. I hadn't shared this story with anyone else before. It felt too personal to share. And yet, wasn't that was I was expecting from my students? To write about a deep and personal experience that has changed them? If I was going to expect them to be vulnerable, I needed to show them that I was too. It wasn't just about having a model for them to read and learn from, it was about me being the model.

Writing the narrative was an experience in itself. It forced me to put thoughts and feelings into words, bringing them into the light for closer examination and analysis. The process forced me to face what had happened. But instead of leaving me distressed as I predicted, I felt lighter. It was as if I had exorcised a demon. The experience no longer haunts me. I now see it for what it was and have a clear lesson that I have learned.

Showing my personal narrative to my students was nerve-wracking. I watched their faces as they read silently in class. And when it was time to write their own they opened up in a way I hadn't seen before. Little and big incidents. Funny and tragic anecdotes. Each of them a window into a life rich with joy and sorrow. I could see that it was hard for them too. Facing the past and going through the same process I did and then having the courage to hand it in to me. I was so proud of them and could well understand their struggle of writing a personal narrative because I knew what it was like.

I don't believe my students would have bared so much if I hadn't led by example, but the main thing I gained from this experience is the power of reflection. If I had not taken the time to reflect on that incident and actually write it down, it would still be haunting me today and I wouldn't have learned what I needed to. Writing a personal narrative is powerful reflection tool.

I have written several more personal narratives since then - for my own benefit (including this blog post!). Whenever I am troubled or confused by something that has happened - recent or long ago - I open a document and begin to type and every time afterwards I feel more enlightened and content. 

Are personal narratives easier than fiction? I'm not so sure they are. But one thing I know, they are worth writing.

Is there an experience playing on your mind? Why not try to writing it down?

Comments