Vulnerability - an important part of teaching?

In what ways have you developed most as a teacher? 

What would stand out if you compare your teaching today to your first lesson? And what caused those changes?

As I look back, I see a lot of encouraging improvements in my teaching over time. I can explain things better, I remember names more easily, I have a better sense of how to pace a lesson. But the changes that have been most significant have been those that led to stronger rapport with students and more learner-centred teaching. These are the changes that really impact students.

Photo by Leon on Unsplash

What are those changes? 

First, let me give you a picture of what I was like as a new teacher. I was incredibly uptight; afraid of sharing anything about myself or being vulnerable in any way. Embarrassing situations like forgetting a book or not knowing how to answer a question filled me with shame and I avoided mistakes at all costs. I held myself at a distance from students, afraid that they would find me out as a sham. 

Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

I was overwhelmed with all that I needed to achieve and had a mind full to the brim with teaching techniques, grammar points, that "list of things to avoid in the classroom" article, and most of all my self-image (how was I coming across to the students?). It's exhausting just thinking about it. 

Thankfully, I've been changing over the years. It's not a sudden change. It's a slow opening up and loosening. Each year I become more comfortable with being vulnerable in the classroom. 

What does this look like?

Some ways I've been vulnerable:

  • Sharing personal experiences (e.g. ways I've struggled when writing)
  • Sharing my writing (including my bad writing and drafts at various stages)
  • Asking students questions
  • Giving students my full attention (instead of thinking about myself--how I appear etc.)
  • Taking more risks and trying new things
  • Being OK with uncertainty and more flexible with how a lesson goes
  • Admitting mistakes and lack of knowledge
I think these can be summed up as being a real human who cares about their students.


Vulnerability and human connection

I've been learning through Brene Brown's work that being vulnerable is the key to being genuine in all kinds of relationships. In her book, The Gift of Imperfections, she argues, "Staying vulnerable is the risk we have to take if we want to experience connection". Although teachers don't connect with students in the same way a friend or parent might (boundaries are still important), making a human connection with a class is crucial for learning. Rita Pierson talks about this beautifully in her TED Talk. My favorite line of hers is: "Kids don't learn from people they don't like".


Vulnerability and creativity 

Besides connection, vulnerability is also "the birthplace of innovation, creativity, and change" according to Brene Brown. In her TED Talk she describes how you need vulnerability in order to put yourself out there to make changes or to create something. Rather than weakness, being vulnerable is "our most accurate measure of courage". I would not have had the courage to get beyond the textbook and try new things every week without a measure of vulnerability. Sometimes it fails; sometimes it results in an amazing lesson. I hope that my modelling also inspires students to be courageous in their learning. 
Photo by Sammie Chaffin on Unsplash

Vulnerability and learning environment

In a classroom, teachers have all the power; we call the shots and often our practices requires students to be vulnerable (answering questions, speaking up in front of everyone, sharing a personal story). As a teacher, I've realised I need to recognise the power I carry. When I am vulnerable, students are more comfortable with being vulnerable (though it is not the goal to make them be more vulnerable, but to allow them to learn in a safe environment). One example where I stepped out of my comfort zone and let myself be vulnerable was a personal narrative class that I wrote about in a blog post

Practicing vulnerability as a teacher allows me to connect with students and teach creatively--focusing on meeting their needs. It also shows students I'm a real human being which gives them permission to be real too.

  • In what ways have you developed most as a teacher since you began?
  • Do you think it's important for teachers to be vulnerable?


Read more about vulnerability in education:


Comments

  1. Loved this blog and it's so true that we need to be vulnerable. Even though I don't teach any longer, the topic is personally relevant. For me, vulnerability includes being okay with my past self. For example, the memories of some lessons/training sessions make me cringe but that's who I was back then and it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that. I have similar cringe moments and am also coming to terms with them. Writing about them helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment